The Final 5k

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Final 5k

The cross country team poses together with coaches after a rewarding race at Manila.

Ciara Massey, Reporter

The cross country season ended Nov. 2 with the state meet in Hot Springs, Arkansas.

The trip was a good chance for the senior members to say goodbye to their cross country careers. It was a time for fun, but also heartfelt goodbyes between teammates and their coach. Senior Quincy Robinson has been on the team since his freshman year and had many memories to look back over.

“I’m really gonna miss having those long talks on the 8 plus mile runs. I’m gonna miss joking on the bus or during practice,” Robinson said. “Coach Cook is very fun and very sarcastic. I wish I could’ve had more time with him as a coach.”

Coach Spencer Cook was previously the assistant coach for the team, but stepped up this year to head coach. Dana Barlow, the middle school cross country coach, assists Cook at high school meets.

The team had a successful season. Top runners for the boys included senior Robinson, junior Henry Mulder and sophomore Logan Fowler, all who broke an important milestone of racing under 20 minutes. Top runners for the girls included senior Tiffany Harris, sophomores Meredith Whited and Emma Dabbs and freshman Madeline Fernandez.

At this year’s Valley View Invitational, Whited broke the school’s record for the fastest women’s 5k, setting it at 21:34.24. It was previously set by Cabryna Butcher with 21:40.76 in 2009. Whited also placed 5th/49 for the 5A East Conference meet, and 17th/166 for 5A at the state meet.

“This season was my most accomplished yet,” Whited said. “I had the best time getting better and competing with my teammates, it was really exciting to race at Oaklawn in Hot Springs.”

While cross country season is over, the race, for many of the athletes does not end there. All members will go on to compete in distance track events in the spring.