• May 18Early Dismissal on Fri. Nov. 16th for Thanksgiving Break!!

• March 29Bonfire Thurs. 6:30 in the lot behind the visitors field to celebrate making it to the playoffs!!

Patriot Expressions

In it to Win it

The Lady Patriots smile for the camera as they prepare for the upcoming season.

Photo taken by Nick Mayeux

Photo taken by Nick Mayeux

Sarah Parker, Reporter

Tonight is the first game of the new basketball season and the Lady Patriots are eager to showcase their talents.

“We have been working hard the last couple of weeks. They are quick, we have very, very fast guards, they are defensively minded. We have been talking about that and trying to press that issue into the teams,” Coach Shunda Johnson boasted.

Last year the team lost some valuable senior players, but despite that Johnson is confident that the team will thrive.

“I think the seniors that we have this year knew the responsibility that was being passed down to them. I think they have done a pretty great job of taking on that responsibility and leadership role,” Johnson said.

Last year, Johnson felt like the team lacked consistency. With continuous hard work, Johnson now feels like the girls are equipped with the skills to go to state.

“Our thing this year is to just keep up the intensity. They have done a very good job. Being intense at practice, pushing each other. If they can just continue to do so, at the consistency they are at, they will excel throughout the season,” Johnson explained.

Senior Mikiya McAdory agrees with Coach Johnson, and is ready to make her senior year one to remember.

“I’m most excited about the level of competition we will be facing this season. We have a schedule packed with good teams and I can’t wait for them to bring out all of the talent that we have,” McAdory beamed. “I’m most excited about being able to play my last year as a patriot with the team I have now. As hard as we’ve worked, I have a good feeling we will take it all the way.”

Coach Johnson says she has great players to watch out for like McAdory, Joi Montgomery, Tashlee Milow, Taylor Lee and many other notable players.

Seniors Alaundra Brister and Jalexia Burges both received high praises from Johnson for their amount of hard work and dedication they put in over the summer. Johnson feels that both team members have improved tremendously and are solid throughout the season.

“The fact that she has acknowledged my improvement before I did makes me feel proud of myself,” Brister commented. “From day in to day out I worked hard and some days it felt as if my effort was going unnoticed. The recognition has given me a peace of mind. It doesn’t make me stop. This pushes me to keep going and keep thriving.”

Come out to the Patriot Arena tonight and support the home team as they face Olive Branch. The girls game starts at 6 pm and the boys follow starting at 7 pm.