Spirit on the Sidelines

The cheerleaders get the crowd pumped up at a pep rally.

Photo By NIck Mayeux

Ciara Massey, Reporter

Cheering comes natural to the fans, but cheerleaders work hard to take it up a notch. The girls  practice every Monday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. and from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Senior cheerleader Nyha Dixon has been on the cheerleading squad since the eighth grade, and has found the perfect way to juggle her responsibilities.

“You have to find time, when you can, to take breaks,” Dixon said. “On Monday, we have practice at 7, so from when we get outta school from 4-6 I spend that time doing homework or trying to relax before practice.”

Coach Lauren Brinkley implemented a new activity called “Big/Little” so the girls could build stronger relationships. For this activity the girls get each other little gifts or take one another out to lunch.

“Most of the people I cheered with in jr high, I ended up cheering with in high school,” Dixon said. “Big/little helps with making our relationships stronger. It helps with how close we all are and how comfortable we are with one another.”

Not only are cheerleaders building strong friendships with each other, they are also becoming fast friends with the football players.

“Being there, and being the guys support system is my favorite aspect of cheer,” Dixon stated.

The regular football season ends Nov. 1 and will be the last time fans will get to see the girls out on the track supporting the football players. Basketball season starts on Nov. 6, where you can see them on the sidelines.