• May 18Early Dismissal on Fri. Nov. 16th for Thanksgiving Break!!

• March 29Bonfire Thurs. 6:30 in the lot behind the visitors field to celebrate making it to the playoffs!!

Patriot Expressions

PARting With Their Clubs

Senior golf player Gavin Truitt about to take a swing

Ashley Westerman

Ashley Westerman

Sarah Parker, Reporter

Now that the golf season is over, the team is able to look back and reflect on all they did this year. Energized by coach Tim Ginn, the team is ready to put in the work that will allow them to come back next season better than ever.

Last year the team was able to qualify as a 6A East school. With the loss of some players, the team dropped down to the 5A division. When the team went to state last year, they competed against 16 other teams. This year with their new division standing, that number doubled to 36, ultimately making state twice as challenging.

“The conference and state tournament were different this year. Last year, there was a 16 team 6A state tournament. This year, there were 32 teams competing for the state title,” Coach Ginn said.

Conference was held in West Memphis on Sept. 18th & 19th. The boys placed third as a team, which ultimately qualified them for state. The girls placed fourth as a team, but did not qualify for state.

The girls did not qualify as a team – they came up short in fourth place, and in order to qualify as a team they would have had to place in the top three. Although the team did not qualify to attend state, senior Sydney Masengale, junior Emma Fraley and freshman Kelly Pederson were able to qualify as individuals.

Coach Ginn is always looking for more players for the girl’s team. It is better to join the team in the ninth grade so the player has time to build up their game. As of right now, Ginn has four girls; Masengale, Pedersen, Fraley, and freshman Shelby Thompson.

“When we get young girls in, we have time to develop as golfers,” Ginn said. “When you have seniors show up, there is not much you can do in those six to eight weeks that we have them. I think the future is bright for girls golf.”

Only the top five male golfers are able to qualify for state: Seniors Jacob Kohl, Gavin Truitt and Zach Harper, and sophomores Grayson Rash and Colton Ashley. The boys placed seventh out of the 32 teams that attended the competition this year.

The boys are facing the same problem as the girls. After this season, the team will be losing the seniors, which makes up a significant amount of players.  After the seniors leave, the golf team will have two juniors. Ginn hopes to gain some members with a little bit of golf experience so they do not have to start their training from scratch.

“I think some of the younger golf players, like Kelly or Grayson, they are better now than our best seniors were at the same age. We have good golfers. I expect better seniors than we have today. Something we struggle with every year is finding newer, younger golfers to come in and take over.”

The golf team has new strategic procedures to ensure that they do well next year and for the years to come. Under superintendent Dr. Glen Fenter, the golf team was able to accumulate a golf simulator that will help the team go a long way.

“We do have an exciting new addition. We are gaining a golf simulator,” Ginn said. “With that, we can dissect their swing, and make improvements. Especially with bad weather.”

The team is looking forward to next season to see what it has to offer. With new technology and practice procedures, the team hopes that next season will be one of the best ones yet.