• May 18School starts back August 13th

• March 29Semester tests are May 23, 24, 25 and 29.

Patriot Expressions

Food for Thought

Photo By Adviser Patricia Rebick

Ciara Massey and Grace Rutledge

Change is coming district wide to food preparation and selection in the 2018-19 school year, helping to provide students the fuel they need to excel in class, sports and extracurricular activities. With the aid of the food outsourcing company Aramark, students will have greater opportunities in their food selection on campus.

During the second semester, student members of the District Wellness Committee and several others were excused from class to go to the central office where they took part in a food tasting. Junior Wesley Barrett remembers how he felt upon being chosen.

“This is such an awesome opportunity,” Barrett recalls. He hopes that having the students involved with the food choices will make them more interested in staying on campus.

For anyone worried about former district food service staff, employees were given the option to re-apply under Aramark and will continue to be on campus preparing food for the district using the district’s facilities. Logistically, this benefits both the employees and the district.

One of Aramark’s strengths is their ability to conduct studies using statistical data of students’ purchases. If they find that students are enjoying one type of food more than another, then an effort will be made to have that food choice and similar options more readily available. Another benefit of Aramark is they continuously strive for diverse menu options, so everyone can find something they enjoy.

Superintendent Dr. Glen Fenter understands how important lunch options can be and would love to see more students stay on campus.

“The food experience for a student on campus can either be a very important part of their day or something they don’t get involved in or it has no meaning,” Dr. Fenter expressed. “We want to work hard to make every experience our students have as cool as we can.”

Not only will students taste the difference in food, but they will also see some external changes to the cafeteria itself. Including things like new decor, music and layout.

If more students eat on campus, the school will be able to use those funds for additional programs that will provide food for students outside of the normal school day. Dr. Fenter says the district is researching ideas such as a dinner program for students and a summer food truck program, as well. All of this will depend on the initial success of the Aramark program on campus.