• May 18Come support the Patriots as they take on rivals WM Sept. 21 at home.

Patriot Expressions

Heading Toward Home

Junior+Morgan+Whited+runs+home.+
Junior Morgan Whited runs home.

Junior Morgan Whited runs home.

Photo by Ciara Massey

Photo by Ciara Massey

Junior Morgan Whited runs home.

Ciara Massey, Reporter

With two games left in the regular season and one after their district tournament, the softball team is 12-7. Although the season is winding down, the team is still keeping up morale and playing hard.

The girls have been working to be better players, and that work has paid off in the form of a first place ranking heading into the district tournament. Every game they play showcases not only how well they play as individuals, but also as a team. Improvement is not only important to the coaches, but also to the players.

Senior Destiny King explained the importance of teamwork by citing a tradition the team has before taking the field. There is a sign above the locker room door that each player hits on her way out.

“I’ve learned it’s not so much the game but becoming a really good team player,” King said. “There’s a sign we hit, ‘Get better every day,’ and we have to hit it before we go out [to practice].”

Photo by Ciara Massey
The softball team works on perfecting their pitching before the game.

The girls faced Blytheville on Tuesday, April 17, and crushed the Chickasaws 21-0 in only three innings. However, all of the competition is not this easy; the girls have faced tougher opponents but are always striving to go out and play their best. The coaches work with the girls at every practice to make sure they are the best athletes they can be.

“I really enjoy practices, probably even more than the players do,” said Head Coach Sean Gray. “Practices are where we develop the players and teach them the way we want them to play the game, and how to play together and how to coordinate.”

If you have not had a chance to catch a game this season, there is still time to come support the Lady Pats. They play their biggest rivals, West Memphis, tonight at home at 4 p.m. Seniors will also be recognized for their years of commitment to the team.

The district conference tournament begins this Saturday, April 28, and continues until May 5.

The first round of the district tournament begins Saturday April 28, but thanks to their grind and first place seed, Marion earned a bye. In the second round, on May 1, the Lady Pats will face off against the winner of a Mountain Home vs. Pine Bluff matchup. The tournament continues throughout the week, culminating in the conference championship on May 5.

Due to their high seeding, the team is guaranteed a spot at the state tournament, which will be May 10-11, hosted by Greenwood High School in northwest Arkansas.