• May 18Early Dismissal on Fri. Nov. 16th for Thanksgiving Break!!

• March 29Bonfire Thurs. 6:30 in the lot behind the visitors field to celebrate making it to the playoffs!!

Patriot Expressions

Sixth-Inning Stretch

Senior+Jackson+Randolph+is+up+to+bat.+
Senior Jackson Randolph is up to bat.

Senior Jackson Randolph is up to bat.

Photo provided by Tyler Bennett

Photo provided by Tyler Bennett

Senior Jackson Randolph is up to bat.

Lauren Miller, Reporter

As baseball season rounds third, the team is preparing to make it home. They’re hoping to end the season with some more wins, and luckily, the team has the perseverance and the coaches to do it.

The boys currently have a record of 15-6. Head coach Pete Prater has worked the team diligently this year to earn that record and keep improving. The team plays around 2-3 games a week, and on the days they are not playing, they still have practice for several hours.

“The team started the season off really strong, but here recently we got a little discouraged and lost some games and made some mistakes we probably shouldn’t have made,” junior Kenta Jones explained. “The best thing for us to do right now is to keep practicing hard and focus on getting better.”

On April 19, the team played against West Memphis. After the varsity game, there was a presentation to announce the $2,500 raised in Cody Smith’s honor to benefit the baseball team. The team scored seven points in the second inning and won the game with a score of 11-0.

“The season is going pretty good,” Dahl said. “We hit a little bump right here losing three games in a row that I feel like we kind of handed away. Hitting wise, I feel like we’ve improved throughout the year, and we just need to clean up our base running and improve on the pitching side, and good things will happen for us.”

Despite the setback of their last few losses, they remain focused. The team still has time to bounce back before the conference tournament beginning on April 28, to try to clinch a spot in the 6A state playoffs.  

“This is by far one of the most talented teams top to bottom that I’ve been a part of since I’ve been here,” Benton said. “We can practice all we want, but what counts is when you turn the scoreboard off and look at the boys.”

The season is not over, and the team is not done yet. There are still many opponents to face, so be sure to come out and support the baseball boys. Also, do not miss senior night on April 24, right after the varsity game.