• May 18School starts back August 13th

• March 29Semester tests are May 23, 24, 25 and 29.

Patriot Expressions

Don’t Procrastinate, GRADUATE

Photo taken from Creative Commons LLC

Photo taken from Creative Commons LLC

Erik Carter, Reporter

For seniors, it is easy to start feeling overwhelmed about what needs to be accomplished before graduation. With a little over a month left before completion of high school, follow this detailed list in order to finish the school year strong.

The first major deadline is for any senior going to prom.  Permission slips are due tomorrow to Mrs. Jeanette Skipper in room five of the main building.  

Students enrolled in an AP class will go to the MPAC during third period for AP test pre-registration on Wednesday, April 18. He or she will be expected to take the AP exam for that class in May. The link below provides all AP exam dates and time.

AP Testing Schedule

Also on April 18, seniors will go to the MPAC for CPR training during fourth period. Afterwards, seniors must sign a form for the Arkansas Department of Education saying they participated in this event that is required for graduation. Remember, this will not make seniors certified in CPR; it only makes them knowledgeable in CPR.

Next, the annual prom promise will be held on Thursday, April 19, at the football field around

10 a.m. Mrs. Linda Robinson, MHS secretary, provides a brief idea of the goal of prom promise.

“Well what the message is, I think, is for children to stay safe and don’t drink and drive during prom night because accidents do occur, and people get killed,” Robinson asserted.

While there, seniors will observe a mocked accident where selected students, along with local authorities, warn the consequences of drinking and driving. Afterwards, seniors will sign a form stating they promise not to drive under the influence.

One of the most unforgettable nights – prom – will be Saturday, April 21, at the Marion Jr. High School cafeteria from 7-11 p.m. Robinson urges any senior to attend their prom as it is a once in a lifetime event she believes no one should miss.

“There was some things I did not do my senior year that I regret,” Robinson stated. “I do not have the opportunity to show pictures or things to my children now that I am a married adult with kids. I think prom is a great opportunity, and I would not miss out on it because you only get it once in a lifetime.”

Immediately following prom, senior celebration will be held at Marion First Baptist Church where seniors have the chance to win money and prizes. Seniors, along with their date, who wish to attend must be there by 12 a.m. because doors will be locked at that time, and re-entry will not be allowed.  

Students only have to worry about semester exams if they have below a B average in a particular class. For seniors who may have to take semester exams, they will start on Monday, April 30, with the third, fourth and fifth period tests. Tuesday, May 1, will be the first and second period tests, and Wednesday, May 2, will be the sixth and seventh period tests. Each exam will will be given during the regularly scheduled period.  

Please only come for the period the exam is taking place. For example, if a senior needed to take his or her second period test, then they would only show up for second period.

Checkout will be held on Thursday, May 3, from 10 a.m. until the end of the school day at the hotbox. Seniors cannot checkout until final exams are completely finished unless they were exempt. All fees and fines must be taken care of as well. This could be from temporary I.D.s and from not turning in rented library books, school books, rented calculators, choir and band items, etc.

After completing the checkout process, seniors will receive a ticket from Robinson to give to the counselors. The counselors will give them a form to fill out. After completion, they will see Mr. Brown to receive their cap and gown.

Robinson advised seniors to make sure their cap and gown fits correctly later that day. The school needs time to contact Mr. Brown in order to get the correct cap and gown for anyone who encounters a fitting problem. If students wait until the last minute it might be too late to do anything.

The annual athletic banquet will be on Tuesday, May 8, at 6 p.m. at the Marion Jr. High cafeteria. Senior athletes will be recognized for their athletic achievement in their respective sport.

A week later, the senior award banquet will be hosted at the MPAC on Tuesday, May 15, at 6 p.m. This award banquet will honor students who received scholarships and those who might receive certain awards such as perfect attendance, honor roll, etc.

There will be MANDATORY graduation practice at 8:30 a.m. at the football field on Friday, May 18. Students who do not show up for practice will not be able to walk for graduation. Seniors must attend practice in order to know where they are supposed to be during graduation and what they are supposed to do. For actual graduation, they must show up in the courtyard by 4 p.m. to be ready to walk.

If there is inclement weather, graduation will be moved to the arena at MJHS the following day. Seniors will receive eight tickets each to give to those who will visit their graduation since seating is limited. Lastly, Robinson encouraged students to pay attention to any kind of announcements that may come. She stated that there might be sudden changes or alterations in the scheduling, so it is best to always keep an open ear.