• May 18Come support the Patriots as they take on rivals WM Sept. 21 at home.

Patriot Expressions

Cheer Tryouts Coming Soon

The+cheerleaders+wave+to+the+crowd+after+their+halftime+performance+during+a+football+game.+
The cheerleaders wave to the crowd after their halftime performance during a football game.

Photo by Mary Claire Reece

Photo by Mary Claire Reece

Grace Rutledge, Reporter

Game nights are one of the most highlighted student events. High school students always look forward to game nights and the spirit that the trench brings. For the cheerleaders, game nights are a chance for them to showcase their hard work and pride for the school.

The cheer squad, coached by English teacher Lauren Brinkley, is busy with practices every Monday, Tuesday and Thursday night. The team also spends three days at cheer camp every summer. These days are packed full from sunrise to sunset with different stunting techniques and cheer ideas that they use throughout the school year. While instructors typically aid them, senior Khaniya Callicutt also helped choreograph several of the dances and routines they have performed.

Cheerleading takes dedication,” Callicutt expressed. “It’s not a sport that you randomly pick off a list and decide you want to do it. Cheering with my teammates this year was probably the best for me because this group of girls made me feel as though I was a part of a family.”

The cheerleaders can always be found on the sidelines supporting the football and basketball teams, and their work is not taken for granted. Students anticipate pep rallies filled with games and relays, and the squad always makes sure the crowd is involved. This extends the sense of spirit to the entire student body, allowing students to get up and cheer on their friends. Even teachers have a chance to join the fun and compete against each other and students during the pep rally games.

Cheer has several other important duties as well. They teach aspiring girls in the lower grades up to sixth grade how to cheer in a program called “Future Patriots.” During rivalry week (the week leading up to the football game against West Memphis), the cheer team is responsible for coming up with themes for each day. The squad also has to teach the male “mock” cheerleaders the pep rally performance for mock homecoming.

Anna Singleton, a senior flyer on the team, has been cheering for nine years. She started cheering at Delta Explosion when she was eight and then cheered with Cheer City United (CCU) until her junior year. Singleton says that every year she looks forward to senior night for both football and basketball because of the routines they perform.

Photo by Mary Claire Reece
The senior cheerleaders pose with their coach on senior night.

Cheer tryouts for the 2018-2019 year are coming soon. There is a $25 fee to tryout, and the dates for different stages of the tryouts can be found below. See Coach Lauren Brinkley for any additional questions.

March 29- Skill Drill

April 2-5 Tryout Clinic

April 6- Final Tryouts