• April 18Graduation is on Friday, May 18th @ 5:00 p.m.

• March 29Prom is on April, 21st from 7-11 pm.

Patriot Expressions

Facts about FACS

Helm%27s+FACS+class+smiles+after+making+taco+seasoning.++
Helm's FACS class smiles after making taco seasoning.

Photo provided by Madison Staton

Photo provided by Madison Staton

Sarah Parker, Reporter

With an all new Family and Consumer Sciences (FACS) faculty, students have had the opportunity to do fun, interactive activities that range from cupcake wars to “drunk goggle” obstacle courses. Many students may think of FACS as kids sitting around a sewing machine making pajama pants and pillows; that, however, is far from what the teachers have planned.

At the end of the first semester, Madison Staton’s food and nutrition classes held a baking competition called “Cupcake Wars”. The students had a chance to showcase their abilities by making 12-18 cupcakes with a winter/Christmas theme. They also matched their flavors and designs to go along with the theme before having their cupcakes judged.

“Ms. Staton is one of my favorite teachers at MHS. She is so interactive and fun to be around. I also feel very safe with her, and she is very dependable,” Chelsea LaComb, one of the winners of the cupcake wars, beamed.

Photo provided by Madison Staton
Staton’s class made delicious cupcakes for their competition while learning in the process.

While Staton’s food and nutrition classes were cooking, her human relations class talked about everything ranging from personalities to dating, as well as how to communicate and make decisions. The students also designed a t-shirt that represented their type of family style, and the class picked animals that exemplified toxic friends and how to recognize them.

Meanwhile, Kelsey Helm’s family and consumer science classes conducted a “drunk” obstacle course with alcohol impairment vision goggles. These goggles are for simulating the effects alcohol has on your vision without actually consuming alcohol. The obstacle course showed students what it felt like to be intoxicated and how much alcohol can impair their vision. After the course was conducted, they went back to class to discuss how drunk driving can impact someone and how alcohol can affect you overall.

“I feel like they really enjoyed that unit. The students engaged really well in the discussions and had fun with the goggles,” Helm explained.

For the child and development unit, Helm set up stations around the classroom called “baby stations”. Each group of students was assigned a RealCare Baby Simulator and had to complete a task that involved taking care of the baby. For example, at one station they changed the baby’s diaper, and at another, they would have to put clothes on the baby. They even got to carry around car seats with the babies inside.

Helm’s last unit before Christmas break was a food unit. Throughout the unit, students had to demonstrate different kitchen techniques that they had learned, such as the proper way to handle a knife.

The class showed off their cooking abilities by making cinnamon sugar muffins, velveeta cheese dip with homemade rotel, buffalo chicken dip and taco seasoning. As for food safety, Helm had the class do a food truck project, where the students had to invent their own food truck and make a 3D version of it.

Food and nutrition classes also dabbled in the kitchen. From hidden veggie smoothies, to m&m cookie bars, to taste test labs, FACS students stayed busy. Students also talked about comparison shopping and the difference between buying name brand vs. generic brand and how it affects budgeting.

“One of my favorite things about class is we get to eat,” sophomore FACS student Olivia Perry said.

Also new this year, Paula Craft, child and development teacher, taught her students about the different ways children develop both physically and emotionally. The students were able to showcase what they learned in the class by making hands-on projects.

Currently, in Craft’s parenting class, students are working on techniques that would equip them to be better parents when the time comes.

“We have had a pretty good start. We are working on what parents need to be successful, teaching values and positive characteristics for parents. Now, we are talking about challenges that parents typically face and how to solve those problems,” Craft explained.  

Other FACS projects this year have included learning about eating disorders. Students made public service announcements about the different disorders. To relate to popular culture, they also had the class make memes showcasing the different types of nutrients and how they affect your body.

These are just the beginning of the things that the FACS department has done. If students are interested in learning more about family life and nutrition or even looking for a fun and practical class, they can sign up during CAP on March 13, and 15.