• May 18School starts back August 13th

• March 29Semester tests are May 23, 24, 25 and 29.

Patriot Expressions

Dribbling to the Top

The+Patriots+score+as+they+take+on+the+Wynne+Yellowjackets.++
The Patriots score as they take on the Wynne Yellowjackets.

Photo by Mary Claire Reece

Photo by Mary Claire Reece

Erik Carter, Reporter

With two weeks left in the regular basketball season, the Patriot boys are trying to dominate the last four games. Currently, they are 12-10 overall and 6-8 in conference play.

The final competitors for the season are all teams they have played earlier in their season, and the Patriots are looking to use their experience to their advantage.

Head coach, Nathan Clayborn, has found his coaching job this season to be challenging yet enjoyable.

“The head coaching position I had in the past was middle school, so you know here is more community based and is much bigger. Comparing this to the assistant coaching job I had in North Little Rock, well, I wasn’t making decisions, but here I’m making the decisions,” Clayborn stated.

Initially, Clayborn hoped to play at a fast pace, but now that the team is smaller than it was at the start of the season, the team has changed their strategy.

“We lack size, so you know we really have to try team rebounding and working on boxing out. We don’t really do it well at times, and there are times we do it well, but we are going against some bigger guys, so that’s a problem,” Clayborn explained.

However, the team is looking to make up for what they lack in quantity in quality, looking to top players to help lead the season. Clayborn notes that sophomore Detrick Reeves is the team’s top scorer, and senior Taylor Brown is the team’s leader. Brown tells everyone where they need to be and makes sure they are doing everything the right way.

“I try to keep them calm and talk to them to make sure they’re comfortable. I don’t yell at them to where we start arguing. I make sure everyone is calm and cool to keep their composure,” Brown explained.

Photo by Mary Claire Reece
Sophomore Detrick Reeves dunks.

Out of the next four games, the team is looking forward to playing West Memphis the most. As for the playoffs, Clayborn wants to make certain that the team wins a game during the upcoming district tournament to ensure their spot and a good seeding.

Three out of the four remaining games will be played at home, giving the team a major advantage.

Patriot fans should come support the team as they rematch West Memphis in the one of the most anticipated games of the season on Tuesday, Feb. 6, in the arena.

Click the link below to check out the rest of the schedule for the boys’ basketball team.

Boys’ Basketball Schedule