• May 18Football senior night this Friday, Oct. 26th

• March 29Join the Patriots as they take on Jacksonville this Friday at 7!

Patriot Expressions

Christmas in the Community

Lauren Miller, Reporter

Looking to join in on the community’s Christmas fun? With many festive events coming up, there are ample opportunities to enjoy the holiday cheer in Marion.

On Tuesday, Dec. 5, choir is having their annual “Ugly Christmas Sweater Concert” at the MPAC. The concert will consist of performances from students in grades sixth through twelfth. It begins at 7:00 p.m. and is free to all.  

The Marion Christmas Parade is Thursday, Dec. 7, and will start at 6:30 p.m., beginning on Block St. and ending on Military Rd.  The entire community comes out every year to display their floats, as families line the streets, bundled up to see the parade. The band will perform during the parade, and many other school organizations will be participating, as well.  

In addition to performing in the parade, the band will hold their own concert on Monday, Dec. 11. It takes place at the MPAC and will feature middle school and junior high bands, the high school band, and the high school jazz band. Sixth grade band will begin their performance at 6:00 p.m., and the high school band will start playing around 7:45 p.m. The jazz band will play house music in the lobby of the MPAC.

Thursday, Dec. 14, MHS will be having an ugly sweater Christmas contest coordinated by the librarian, Mrs. Jenni Held.  All students are encouraged to wear ugly Christmas sweaters, and all participants will qualify to enter into a raffle.  Two lucky winners will receive $10 Sonic gift cards and three more winners will receive $5 Sonic cards.

There will also be a Christmas production performed by theatre II students on Dec. 14, and Dec. 15. They are performing “Billy Shakespeare’s Christmas Extravaganza & Traveling Freak Show” by Don Zolidis. Thursday, Dec. 14, will be a matinee performance during third period in the MPAC.  Seating is limited, so teachers should contact Mrs. Alex Smith in advance to reserve a spot for their class. Also, Held will announce the winners of the ugly Christmas sweater raffle at the end of the performance. Their public performance will be on Friday, Dec. 15 at 6:00 p.m. in the MPAC. Faculty and staff will have free admission, and public admission will be $5.

“I’m so excited that the MHS Theatre Department is producing its first play of the school year, and this show is the perfect way to kick off the Christmas season,” Smith said. “I love that so many students, and even faculty, have collaborated to bring this show together.”

During the holidays, it can be easy to be distracted with obligations and final exams, but be sure to take some time to relax and enjoy the holiday cheer.  These events will be sure to put you in the spirit of the season and are a great way to spend time together with family and friends.