Annual HOSA Blood Drive

Back to Article
Back to Article

Annual HOSA Blood Drive

Mary Claire Reece, Reporter and Photographer

Although some may fear needles and blood, many people who have been injured or who need cancer treatments depend on blood donations. Approximately 36,000 units of blood are needed every day in the United States alone. On Friday, Dec. 8, Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) is teaming up with Lifeblood to host a blood drive on campus.

To register to give blood, go to www.clublifeblood.us. Select “Find a Blood Drive,” and then, under the search by sponsor category, search the code MAHS. Select Marion High School HOSA room. On this page, users can schedule a donation time. All donors under the age of 18 must fill out a minor donor permission form before they can donate. Ms. Whitney Taylor, HOSA sponsor, has the forms in room 33 in the humanities building.

Unfortunately, there are some restrictions to keep in mind. When donating, donors cannot currently be taking antibiotics or have any type of infection. Anyone who has gotten a tattoo or piercing in the last year is ineligible to donate, as well. Before and after donating, donors must remain full and hydrated. There are also height & weight requirements, and all donors must be age 16 or older.

Many people have concerns about donating blood, including how safe the procedure is. However, all equipment that will be used in the donation process (needle, gloves, collection bag and tube, etc.) is sterile and used only once. Feeling dizzy is completely normal, but few people experience this feeling.

“Just knowing that I saved three lives. You know, that’s what they always tell you; you saved three lives,” senior Caleb West said of the benefits of giving blood on campus.  

Donors also receive a free snack, drink and t-shirt when they give blood in addition to the life-saving benefits.