• January 28Due to snow days, school will be in session on President's Day

• January 28$50 Prom Fee is due March 1st

Patriot Expressions

Clayborn’s Court

The+basketball+team+prepares+for+their+upcoming+season.++
The basketball team prepares for their upcoming season.

Photo by Mary Claire Reece

Photo by Mary Claire Reece

Erik Carter, Reporter

Although the weather is getting colder, things are just heating up on the basketball court as the boys’ new head basketball coach, Nathan Clayborn, prepares his team for the upcoming season.

Clayborn attended Little Rock Central High School from 1994 to 1998 and went on to further his education at Arkansas State University. His first coaching job was at Lakewood Middle School where he coached for eight years; he then moved on to coach at North Little Rock High School for five years.

Clayborn has plenty of experience in coaching, and he knew it was going to be his profession by the time he was 14. He recounted a time when he was first offered a position as a coach at a community center.

“The lady that was working there said, ‘Do you want to help me coach? I will pay you $20 out of every check I get.’ That sounded like a great deal to me, so I helped coach. Every summer, I coached. When I went to college and came home in the summer, I coached. My dad was a basketball coach, it was kind of like what I did,” Clayborn recalled.

Marion drew Clayborn in once he noticed two things about the school: the facilities and the athletes.

“We used to play Marion when I was at North Little Rock whenever we were in the same 6A/7A East Conference. I was like man, they have some athletes, and they have some nice facilities, so I bet that would be a nice job,” Clayborn stated.

Clayborn has been practicing with the team weekly with a goal of getting the team to play at a faster pace this season. Before he arrived, Assistant Coach Monty Patel, had been working with the team here and there in the summertime by taking the team to various camps to practice.

“The tournament coming up will be Nov. 16 through the 19. It will be in Brookland, Ark. We have the Patriot Classic coming up the week of Thanksgiving . . . on the 20th and 21st. We are looking forward to seeing a whole lot of Patriot fans in the stands cheering on their Marion Patriots,” Clayborn concluded.

Clayborn believes sophomores Makyi Boyce and Detrick Reeves, juniors Trystan Haymon and Keyshawn Woods and seniors Martinez Harper and Kin’dylen Roberts will be players to look out for throughout the season. Clayborn is excited to see how the tournament will play out, and he hopes to see plenty of Patriots out in the crowd to support the team.

To gain admission to the games, $5 is required. The following link provides the basketball schedule for this season.

2017-2018 Basketball Season