• May 18Early Dismissal on Fri. Nov. 16th for Thanksgiving Break!!

• March 29Bonfire Thurs. 6:30 in the lot behind the visitors field to celebrate making it to the playoffs!!

Patriot Expressions

Building a Career with the Flick of the Wrist

Photo by Mary Claire Reece

Photo by Mary Claire Reece

Ciara Massey, Reporter

Teachers have been preparing students for college since elementary school. It is something that every student has heard about and probably planned for to some extent. However, not every high school student will attend college. Others may benefit more from altering their educational path to meet their specific needs and interests.

Senior Riley Tittle and junior Adam Dupree are perfect examples of this. The two have talents that could possibly turn into careers without having to attend a traditional college.

Dupree is an aspiring artist,  his passion for the arts goes back to middle school. He says that it began when he noticed his artwork was different from the other students in his class.

“…In art class I was doing exceptionally well…I was trying to compare my skills to other people, and then I thought he’s not doing that good and neither is he, so maybe I’m pretty good at this,” Dupree stated.

College is still on Dupree’s radar but not your average four-year institution. He has done extensive research and looked into schools in Illinois and Pennsylvania.

“There’s a lot to be learned,” Dupree said, “I haven’t taken any art classes here at the high school or at the college [ASU Mid-South]. I feel like when I draw or when I paint, I need to learn how to use better skills.”

Tittle is similar to Adam in that she is an aspiring artist, but she is interested in pursuing a career in the makeup industry. She wants to study any kind of cosmetology that she can. As a senior, she has a specific path mapped out. She has looked at a few places to study and improve her craft, from her native Arkansas to as far off as New York.

“I think I could study cosmetology and become a makeup artist,” Tittle said, “I’ve looked at Marked Tree, there’s a beauty school out there.”

Other students may have talents similar to Tittle and Dupree but may become discouraged from pursuing that talent.  They think because they have not seen anyone make a career out of a hobby, it cannot be done. For those students, Tittle gives a piece of advice:

“Go for it. Go express your talent. You only live once, and life is so short. Take the chance, express yourself.”