• September 15FAFSA Night is October 19

• September 7Yearbook Prices are $50 until October 13

The student news site of Marion High School

Patriot Expressions

Home Sweet Harley

2017 Homecoming Queen Harley Duncan

2017 Homecoming Queen Harley Duncan

Photo by Mary Claire Reece

Photo by Mary Claire Reece

2017 Homecoming Queen Harley Duncan

Grace Rutledge, Reporter

Everyone saw the tears of joy Harley Duncan had Sept. 15 when her name was announced as 2017 Homecoming Queen. Being queen was something she never expected to happen, and she was incredibly grateful, if not somewhat surprised.

“Being queen didn’t even cross my mind, that’s why I was crying,” Duncan expressed.

She immediately called her mom to share the good news, and everyone was excited when she got home.

Being homecoming queen is about more than the dress, even if that is a big part. The most exciting, and nerve-racking, part is the speech. The main thing Duncan is looking forward to is the speech, not the crowning. This is the most important part to her because she wants her chance to thank everyone and give advice to underclassmen.

“Homecoming isn’t for the prettiest girls. It’s for how you talk to people and how you treat others. It’s about representing Marion in the right way. I love this community, really. I really do, there’s just something special about it,” Duncan shared.

Photo by Mary Claire Reece
Marion truly is home sweet home for Duncan.

Duncan’s love for the community is exemplified in her involvement in numerous activities throughout town. She is on the cheerleading squad, enrolled in the college’s pilot program, a dedicated Delta Beta Sigma (DBS) member, employed at Stardom Athletics and excels academically, ranking in the top of her class.  

Since she was announced as queen, everyone, even local businesses, knows her name and has offered congratulations, making her even more proud to represent Marion. Duncan feels that with this huge honor comes great responsibility to keep her grades up while being a good role model for others.  

This is not Duncan’s first time on court; she was also a maid her sophomore year. These two times are, of course, completely different.  

“Sophomore year was different, because the attention wasn’t on you. We all looked up to the seniors because it was their year,” Duncan said.

Duncan was thrilled to have senior football players Tanner King and Peyton Walker escort her at the pep rally. King and Duncan were childhood friends who walked home from elementary school together.  Having a close friend beside her helped calm her nerves.

Duncan and Walker’s relationship is the kind that has been strengthened through an excess of ugly Snapchats.

“There’s just a special kind of relationship that comes from sending ugly Snapchats. That’s when you know you’re close. Plus, it helped to have two escorts that are both taller than me to help keep me up on my heels,” Duncan added.

For anyone hoping to make court, Duncan offered the following cheesy but true advice.

“Be yourself. If you want to be friends with lots of people, then do it. If you feel like you want to keep to yourself, then keep to yourself. Don’t be someone you’re not trying to get homecoming queen, that’s not what it’s about.”

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Home Sweet Harley”

1. Mr. K on October 6th, 2017 7:56 pm

Nice.

[Reply]

2. Mrs. R on October 11th, 2017 3:36 pm

Sweet story.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Home Sweet Harley

News

Building a Career with the Flick of the Wrist

• Home Sweet Harley

News

Volleyball Honors Local Breast Cancer Survivor

• Home Sweet Harley

News

Figuring Out Your Future

• Home Sweet Harley

News

Once a Patriot, Always a Patriot

• Home Sweet Harley

News

Festival Offers Service Hours Opportunity

• Home Sweet Harley

News

Football Finishes First Half of Season

• Home Sweet Harley

News

Meet the Seniors on Homecoming Court

• Home Sweet Harley

Health & Wellness

Free Flu Vaccines

• Home Sweet Harley

News

Meet Your Junior Maids

• Home Sweet Harley

News

Meet Your Sophomore Maids

Home Sweet Harley