Free Flu Vaccines

Nurse+Morrow+encourages+students+and+faculty+to+receive+their+free+flu+vaccination.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

Free Flu Vaccines

Nurse Morrow encourages students and faculty to receive their free flu vaccination.

Photo by Grace Rutledge

Photo by Grace Rutledge

Photo by Grace Rutledge

Grace Rutledge, Reporter

Only 10 percent of high school faculty and students received their free flu shot last year. This year’s vaccine will be administered Wednesday, Oct. 18, and Nurse Harriet Morrow hopes to increase that percentage.

Flu shot forms are available in the main office and with the school nurse, as well. The forms do not need to be turned in early; instead, bring them on the day of the vaccination. Students and teachers are strongly encouraged to pick one up to receive their free shot.  

The flu vaccine needs to be readministered every season for two reasons: the body’s immune response from the vaccination will decline over time, and the flu virus is constantly changing. The vaccine is updated yearly to account for these changes, which helps reduce the risk of illness between 40 and 60 percent.

A human’s antibodies take approximately two weeks after vaccination to develop protection against the influenza virus. Therefore, it is better to get the vaccine early in the fall before flu season comes in full attack. Contrary to popular belief, the flu vaccine does not cause you to get the flu.

However, some minor side effects can occur:

• Soreness, redness or swelling where the shot was given
  • Low fever
  • Aches

People with compromised immune systems cannot receive the vaccination, and they are forced to rely on others to prevent the spread of the virus.

“It’s almost our duty to each other to promote wellness, so go ahead and get the vaccination,” Nurse Morrow said.